OVERVIEW OF THIS POSITION:
Develops new products and textile materials. Optimizes existing products and textile materials.
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THIS POSITION:
- Conducts research and testing, to design and develop new textile materials and products and optimize existing textile materials and products as approved and prioritized by Manager Product Development R&D US
- Researches and studies textile materials, including fibers, yarn and fabrics, to design quality products and determine new production techniques
- Coordinate R&D efforts with Marketing, Manufacturing, and Quality Assurance regarding product and fabric feasibility and time frames for product development and maintain updates on project status utilizing approved project management tool
- Chooses and implements analysis and testing techniques used in the test characterization of materials and coordinates physical testing and evaluation of raw materials and finished products in order to establish comprehensive new product specifications and is also responsible to maintain current product specifications
- Evaluates competitors’ products and materials, including patent information, to contribute to the establishment of benchmarks for new products.
- Investigates and resolves work-in process problems and daily operating variances, troubleshooting for resolution
- Maintains current knowledge on possible “Green” materials, processes, equipment possibilities and incorporates where feasible
- Train managers/associates on new products, including raw materials, manufacturing procedures, product specifications and properties, and applications related characteristics
- Adopt and utilize ISO 9000 procedures
- Direct involvement and travel to existing and potential customers for design of new products
- Interacts with Suppliers, Consultants, Customers, Universities, etc.; to support duties above
- Collaboration with other members of Habasit’s R&D personnel worldwide
- Responsible for product and material certifications / approvals by appropriate agency when required: NSF, USDA, USDA Dairy, EU, REACH
- Any other duties as assigned by Manager Product Development R&D US
COMPETENCIES/SPECIFIC EXPERIENCE OR TRAINING PREFERRED
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements/preferences listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Preferred – MSc Degree in Textile Engineering
- Preferred – Minimum 3 - 5 years manufacturing experience in related field
- Preferred – Minimum 3- 5 years analytical, testing and characterization techniques of polymeric and textile materials
- Preferred – Experience with design and production of woven, nonwoven and knitted fabrics
- Preferred – Experience with Plastics and Rubber chemistry
- Preferred – Must have project management experience in R&D/product development, and the ability to interface with manufacturing, marketing, quality assurance, and customers.
- Preferred – Must be conversant with proposal development and have the ability to develop analytical and/or evaluative tools for research
- Preferred – Must have analytical skills, and possess excellent verbal, technical writing, and general presentation skills
- Preferred – Experience with FDA/USDA, Underwriters Laboratories, and other related materials standards
- Preferred – Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint