46 Hartford Financial Services Group Reviews

Browse Hartford Financial Services Group Reviews by Job Title →
(based on 27 Hartford Financial Services Group Review Ratings)
"Love it! Is a great place to work with great people. They really care about their employees and their families. They have a gym also on the second floor and you can get a discount on the health insurance. They have lots of parking and shuttles running all day long. Every so often the CEO will give a speech available to everyone telling about the state of the company via the intranet. They have a volunteer program in the community."
Posted 6 years ago in Hartford, CT
in Hartford, CT

"There are a lot of good people working at The Hartford, though there are some qualities of the insurance industry which people may find unappealing. This is not The Hartford's fault, and I enjoy the connections I made there."

in Windsor, CT

"I am working the Hartford since 3 years"

Hartford Financial Services Group (46)

4.5 Highest Rated in this Industry is Fleming Foods (16)
2.9 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Sedgwick (6)
in Hartford, CT

"Many jobs have been outsourced and long time employees have been pushed out so they can be replaced by younger less expensive people. I was bullied and harassed by new management before they finally terminated me. They wouldn't even let me take my mother to a doctor when she was dying. At one point I was told I could not take lunch breaks, which is illegal. I was not allowed flex time or the ability to work from home. Everyone is paying for a poor general ledger as well. They rose one of my coworkers so hard his blood pressure went out of control and he was out for three months."

Support You Get 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
in Hartford, CT

"I have worked for The Hartford for over 28 years. When I started at the company it was innovative in their products, their organization structure and in how they treated employees. I was able to grow my career and worked for excellent leaders. They were ethical in how they treated employees and poor performers and poor leaders were coached and their positions adjusted according to performance as opposed to a" bell curve" which is in use now. Over the past 5 years the company has taken away pension benefits, pension contributions, retirement medical benefits and many other employee focused programs. They have invested in their executives and their real estate and buildings. They have begun to use more and more sourcing partners driving more work offshore and away from employees. This has put an emotional strain on employees in addition to the fact that the company has downsized and at one point took TARP funds to stay afloat. This would be fine if the sourcing was achieving what was expected at the outset. It has not in all areas. The sourcing partners in many cases are not delivering what was expected and in many cases experienced employees are filling the gaps and having to manage the partners. Hiring practices are geared toward younger employees again putting a strain on experienced employees. It seems like the company is focused on dressing itself up for a sale and is running quarter to quarter in its decision making processes"

Average Hartford Financial Services Group Ratings in the Past 3 Years

in Woodbury, MN

"I really enjoyed working with Hartford Life Insurance Company even though it was on a contract."

Desktop Support Agent

in New Hartford, NY

"I have worked for Hartford Financial Service Group for about a year and was promoted quickly through the ranks, but the culture and location of the workplace was a major burden for me emotionally."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 1 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
Business Consultant
in Hartford, CT

"I worked for The Hartford for 27 years. The Hartford is a stable, conscientious company to work for. They pay well for those who are willing to sit up, take notice and go for opportunities around them. I only left because of attractive early retirement opportunities. I would make the same choice I made 27 years ago to work for them again as they are a great company."

Business Consultant
in Simsbury, CT

"What makes The Hartford a great company are the employees. They are hard working and dedicated and they are allowed to do what they need to do to get the job done. Their loyalty and commitment is outstanding."

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
IT Manager
in Hartford, CT

"The Hartford was a great company to work for. They are a fast paced environment with lots of opportunities for learning and advancing."

Consultant
in Hartford, CT

"Established American company with great traditions and spirit."

Auto Insurance Representative
in Oklahoma City, OK

"I have 15 years proven sales, getting results and dealing with pressure, which I used daily in my job here at Hartford Personal Lines Insurance."

What do you like about working at Hartford Financial Services Group?

"I like the stability but want a change in my career."

"A person must be willing to be pressured and deal with immediate change."

What don't you like about working at Hartford Financial Services Group?

"The cost of policies and the denial to many clients based on income."

"Management needs to improve involving themselves in decision-making with the team."

Senior Developer
in Simsbury, CT

What do you like about working at Hartford Financial Services Group?

"Good colleagues, good manager, a company that behaves ethically and honorably."

"Understand the advancement path in detail before comitting to work here."

What don't you like about working at Hartford Financial Services Group?

"Work offers little chance for innovation, few opportunities for stretching, salary advancement is very poor."

"Provide more resources for technical development for IT workers, more opportunities for salary and position advancement."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Senior Business Analyst
in Hartford, CT

"Best Job to date! Constant learning and growth."

What do you like about working at Hartford Financial Services Group?

"Best Teams. Most open collaborative environment. Management treated you like equals and managed exceptionally well with respect shared on all sides. Opinions and technical knowledge was always valued. Projects always exceeded deadlines with great teamwork."

"Be open to learning. They have a corporate university and train their methodologies and practices exceptionally fast and well. Bring your technical know how to every project and be open to traversing multiple teams, projects, roles and departments to obtain growth in the company. Evolution in the company is absolutely attainable with hard work!"

What don't you like about working at Hartford Financial Services Group?

"They were hit hard by the economic downturn and entire departments were either laid off or bought into IBM as a method of internal outsourcing. The only problem with the internal outsourcing was openness to relocating was mandatory."

"None. It was the best company I have worked for and the management team was outstanding!"

Senior Middle Market Underwriter
in New Hartford, NY

What do you like about working at Hartford Financial Services Group?

"The many programs that they had to offer. They had good marketing materials as well."

"Be prepared to be Micro-managed. Good programs and insurance products are available."

What don't you like about working at Hartford Financial Services Group?

"Company quality controlled every piece of paper that went off you desk. Spent a lot of valuable time doing rebuttals on grading by the Quality Analysis team"

"The underwriters need more authority in the field and the QA teams needs to lighten up some."