On average, employees at Fastenal give their company a 3.3 rating out of 5.0 - which is 14% lower than the average rating for all companies on CareerBliss. The happiest Fastenal employees are Branch Managers submitting an average rating of 3.7 and General Managers with a rating of 3.5.

(based on 32 Fastenal Review Ratings)
in Indianapolis, IN

"I've worked for Fastenal Company since 2018. I find it to be a great company with high standards in ethics and integrity. I recommend this company to anybody wanting to get their foot in the door for experience as they constantly bring in new employees."

Account Specialist
in Charleston, SC

"Fastenal is a very fas paced high output company that is growing rapidly and focuses on customer service. The motto is Growth through customer service and it is just that. Fastenal has a team of amazing people and managers who stand by you to make sure you get the things you need so you can succeed. I highly recommend The Fastenal Company. They give you all the tools you need to be successful in outside sales and customer relations."

Fastenal (65)

4.7 Highest Rated in this Industry is DEFENDER Direct (13)
1.8 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Hampton Forge (8)
in Niles, IL

"I had heard bad things about Fastenal over the ears, but everyone has had a bad boss. My experience was worse than anything I had heard. This was a bad situation. When I started I noticed the manager seemed to yell at one of my co-workers a lot, and most of it was unwarranted. This co-worker put up with it. Then the manager turned his attention to me. (I hope my co-worker appreciated the distraction.) Yelling at me every chance he got. He would not give me access to company resources like computers or company vehicles. Even after another sales person left and that person's computer and company vehicle became available he gave those items to the person he hired to replace that sales person and told me to deal with it. I tried hard to do my job but I had to face facts that my manager was going to make that very difficult every chance he got. He kept asking me to refer former co-workers from my previous employer and friends to apply to Fastenal. Who would do that to a friend?"

in Winona, MN

"Understaffed, underpaid and overworked. Extremely high turnover at stores based on cut backs at various times of the year. Constant changes to your pay and the labor model. Lack of help in the store makes day to day branch operations very difficult. Fastenal hires lots of part time for very important jobs and the part time employees have no concept of doing a good job because they are looking for full time work."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5

Average Fastenal Ratings in the Past 3 Years

2013 $2
Warehouse Manager
in Mason City, IA

"I enjoyed my job there and would still be there if it wasn't for my family moving to California. My boss and co-workers were genuinely sad to see me leave. I had hoped to transfer to Fastenal here in Visalia but corporate put a freeze on full time hiring so I was out. It's a good company and I worked at one of the first stores that was opened. Fastenal has almost 3000 stores in the US and overseas. I started part time and worked into a full time position, I helped to grow our sales to over $200,000 a month. I took care of walk in customers and phone orders."

in Montgomery, AL
Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Cleveland, OH

"It is a job that gives you just enough!"

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
in San Bernardino, CA

"It was a good part time job."

Sales Support Representative
in Oceanside, NY

"Great place to work at. Flexible hours, great boss."

Project Manager
in Winona, MN

"I like that I'm left alone to get my job done."

Outside Sales Representative
in Indianapolis, IN

"Run... run as far away from Fastenal as you can! Very low pay and unrealistic sales goals based off the previous year which you have no control of. Product pricing is 5 times higher than competitors. The formula they tell you on how you're paid commission only a nasa scientist could figure out. The list goes on and on I'm going to run out of characters. Only positives are regular business hours and no weekends."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
General Manager
in Sterling Heights, MI

"Beware of this company. Perfect example of why this isn't your dad's economy. You can move mountains, and still won't be enough. Their corporate ideals are that of an oppressive dictator. Threats, and disrespect are handed out quite often through their struggles to grow their bottom line (recently). Not all employees are bad people and in fact the majority of Fastenal employees are solid. Eventually they'll ruin their image, and the job pool will turn on them. Beware!"

Store Manager
in Yuma, AZ

"I was treated well, I just wasn't offered any type of promotion locally. I was unfortunately unable to stay with the company because of it."

Person You Work For 3.3 / 5 People You Work With 3.3 / 5 Work Setting 3.3 / 5
Support You Get 3.3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3.3 / 5
Outside Sales Representative
in Omaha, NE

"Physically and mentally the most demanding job I have ever held."

What do you like about working at Fastenal?

"Great educational opportunity for someone wanting to get into sales. Meeting new people and the challenge of product knowledge."

"Try as hard as you can to find another job. Especially if your use to getting paid for your time. If you have no job experience, it's perfect. For Fastenal."

What don't you like about working at Fastenal?

"Terrible pay, both salary and commission. As well as terrible hours. You are expected to work a minimum of 10 hours but get paid less than the nations lowest average salary. By 10 hours I mean closer to 12 a day. My average hourly pay over the last 6 months has been $6.50 an hour, and I am in the top 3 salesman in district. You throw in the cheapest medical and dental care a company can buy and you have yourself a job at Fastenal."

"Pay your employee's better, have better incentive programs for top performers, get better medical coverage and scrap your entire support system. Delegating some responsibilities you expect your front level guy's to carry would be beneficial as well to less turnover. Collections and accounting support to name a couple."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
General Manager
in Charlestown, NH

"I enjoyed my job at Fastenal"

What do you like about working at Fastenal?

"Selling products to the customers and being able to solve their problems"

"Just be yourself and answer the questions to the best of your ability"

What don't you like about working at Fastenal?

"The fact they like to micro manage you to the point that it was hard to really do your job."

"Too not micro manage the general managers and let they have the freedom to do their job."