(based on 9 Big 5 Sporting Goods Review Ratings)
in Buena Park, CA

"I have worked at Big 5 sporting goods for 5 years starting as sales position to a manager position. I have learned a lot within those 5 years on how to think fast on your feet and to help improve the image of the company. I'm also working as a freelance graphic designer for 5 years as well. Within those 5 years of being a manager and also a designer has helped me improve my customer relations with the clients that hire me to help solve their design problems."

in Victorville, CA

What do you like about working at Big 5 Sporting Goods?

"The fast paced environment and the people I worked with."

"Dont do it if you need money its not worth the pay"

What don't you like about working at Big 5 Sporting Goods?

"The rules at that store and the pay and hours were horrible."

"Make more reasonable rules and give your employees more hours."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5

Big 5 Sporting Goods (27)

4.4 Highest Rated in this Industry is Adelphi University (7)
2.9 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Books-A-Million (19)
Sales Associate
in Valencia, CA

"A typical summer job for a High School student."

Person You Work For 3 / 5 People You Work With 4.7 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5

Average Big 5 Sporting Goods Ratings in the Past 2 Years

Computer Operator
in Riverside, CA

What do you like about working at Big 5 Sporting Goods?

"The senior manager and the programming manager are GREAT, but it seems that the upper management is SO full of their own power that nobody is interested in trying to deal with them, so these managers are, sadly, virtually ineffective as a result! I liked the freedom I had to my job as I pleased. There was a lot of freedom to interact with your fellow workers, who were, with one exception, great! The benefits were nice, but I didn't need medical and they didn't offer a cash option. I liked the vacation time, but your holidays couldn't be taken on the holidays because it is retail. Big 5 offered products at cost to employees, but had so many strings attached, that you would be lucky to get 2 or 3 items a month that you wanted. The matching funds for the 401k was REALLY nice, but they cut it in half almost right after I started."

"If you have no experience, or education (high school diploma) this is really a good intro job for you, but if you are looking for a career, look somewhere else! I passed on a programming job that would have started at $3/hour more to carve out a career at Big 5. What a huge mistake! There are many unhappy people working at Big 5, and the administrators are very comfortable, nothing is likely to change soon!"

What don't you like about working at Big 5 Sporting Goods?

"The upper administration in Riverside didn't seem to have a lot to do, so they came up with ridiculous rules to, it appeared, look busy. For instance, the support teams worked alone on weekends, and the distribution center was closed, leaving ample parking spaces up close to the building, but we had to park at least 100 yards away in our 'designated spots' (this only lasted a few months, but the purpose was unclear, and only riled people further)! That is only the TIP of the ice burg! Support personnel (store and computer) were always treated like outcasts. They have some managers with little experience, and no education, working over employes who have been there for years, and have degrees! When positions opened up, nobody really wanted them because they did not come with a raise."

"Listen to your employees and don't treat them as if they are a problem! They are there to help the company run smoothly, and may have some valuable insight. Don't be afraid of qualified, capable people moving up in the ranks, they will make your job easier, and make you look good! Move your educated, experienced employees into positions they have an interest in. PAY MORE, the salary I made at Big 5 was so low, it DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE DROP DOWN LIST ON THE CAREER BLISS WEBSITE! Big 5 goes WAY overboard on the 'diversity' thing! Trust me, it is not ALWAYS a strength."

Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Manager
Person You Work For 3.8 / 5 People You Work With 4.5 / 5 Work Setting 3.9 / 5
Support You Get 4.6 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4.5 / 5
in Palo Alto, CA

What do you like about working at Big 5 Sporting Goods?

"I liked providing customer service and fulfilling their needs, investigating concerns, etc."

"Look elsewhere.They also lied about my pay and every paycheck wasn't itemized, hardly any info listed, to the point one could not figure out if the paycheck was correct and when I challenged it to HR, I was blown off. So one day I took my hours and what I took home for that month, albeit to late, and divided etc. and it was less then what was promised in pay. They overwork their employees to death and pay them garbage."

What don't you like about working at Big 5 Sporting Goods?

"Poor treatment toward certain employees and not firing a store mgr. for sexual and verbal harassment yet they fired a mgr. on the spot for sexual harassment. Low pay, lied, daily and constant heavy lifting which there was no extra comp for, etc."

"Reward hard workers vs. slackers (like when I was there) and treat employees fairly and with respect. Also, don't wait two years or less to fully train an assist. mgr."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Yuma, AZ
Person You Work For 3.8 / 5 People You Work With 4.8 / 5 Work Setting 3.7 / 5
Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4 / 5
Company Culture 3.6 / 5 Way You Work 4 / 5
Assistant Store Manager
Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 4.8 / 5 Support You Get 4.8 / 5
Rewards You Receive 3.8 / 5 Growth Opportunities 4.8 / 5 Company Culture 3.1 / 5
Way You Work 4.1 / 5
Manager

"This was the worst job I've ever had."

Point of Sales Representative

"Enhanced communication skills by meeting customer demands, answer their questions and provided excellent customer service."

What do you like about working at Big 5 Sporting Goods?

"I like working here because enhanced communication skills by meeting customer demands, answer their questions and provided excellent customer service."

"I have so suggestions for management. They all are hard workers and provide good support."

What don't you like about working at Big 5 Sporting Goods?

"Too much drama in the workplace. They constantly circle new employees in and old out."

Store Manager

"if they are truly interested in career, stick with the manager trainee program though it may be tough at the start."

in Cerritos, CA

"Accurate and interesting to know how one feels about a previous employer and people they worked with."

What do you like about working at Big 5 Sporting Goods?

"It's a casual, friendly and sociable environment. You meet interesting people and get to help on theor needs."

"If your a student, this would be a nice starting job, especially if you like retail."

What don't you like about working at Big 5 Sporting Goods?

"Other then standing around for 8 hours, I did not appreciate the theft that can occur."

"Converating and getting to know your fellow employees can impact the way a company succeeds."

Store Manager

What do you like about working at Big 5 Sporting Goods?

"Great place to work. Fast advancement. Sales growth. Growth as a person. Fast paced. Fun."