15 American TV & Appliance Reviews

Browse American TV & Appliance Reviews by Job Title →
(based on 6 American TV & Appliance Review Ratings)
4.6
Senior Buyer
in Madison, WI

"I have worked for American TV, an 11 store retail chain for the past 30 years in in various positions. From Inventory control to my current position of Buyer/marketing manage, but am looking for a job change. They have decided to close their doors after 60 years."

Warehouse Specialist
in Madison, WI

"Physically demanding perhaps, but only just so. Again here, the key to enjoying this workplace is learning to appreciate and enjoy the company of your co-workers. The customers occasionally left something to desire, but liking the people you work with does wonders for your disposition."

American TV & Appliance (15)

4.6 Highest Rated in this Industry is E-Plus (7)
1.8 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Verifi (5)
Appliance Repair Technician

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 4.9 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Support You Get 4.9 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
Installer

What don't you like about working at American TV & Appliance?

"I didn't like the fact that towards the end of my employment I was not able to get 40 hours a week."

Sales Associate

What do you like about working at American TV & Appliance?

"good employee purchase program"

"Long 12 hour shifts"

Assistant Store Manager

"This is a good company to learn salesmanship."

Customer Service Representative

"very positive"

What do you like about working at American TV & Appliance?

"Great experience learning customer service and how to deal with people and help them."

"Be yourself and relax"

What don't you like about working at American TV & Appliance?

"The poor salespersons that I worked alongside"

"be more rigorous with the hiring of sales professionals"

Computer Technician
in Madison, WI

"Entry level technician with commision"

What do you like about working at American TV & Appliance?

"Challenge of doing repairs"

What don't you like about working at American TV & Appliance?

"No room for advancement"

Assistant Store Manager

"great place to learn and grow very professional"

What do you like about working at American TV & Appliance?

"constant training professional growth"

"ask about the schedule"

What don't you like about working at American TV & Appliance?

"hours nights and weekends"

Sales Associate
in Belleville, IL

"Don't waste more than two years working there!"

What do you like about working at American TV & Appliance?

"We had a little bit of freedom to make deals & decide what's best for our customers. I'd say most of the time my coworkers were relatively easy to get along with. We had great incentive plans for sales reps and many contest with great prizes."

"Don't take anything they say seriously. You have to deal with the politics when working with this company and they a always looking for a fall guy because when thing don't go as planned. Working for this company is just a job never a career. If you're working for them make sure you're planning your next move."

What don't you like about working at American TV & Appliance?

"50hr work weeks & 70hr work weeks during the holiday season. Non paid training sessions before work and during your off days. This company tells you to do things exactly the way they say & when it doesn't work they blame you. In the 3 years I was there they fired and demoted all 5 management positions two times over. It was safer to stay a sales rep then to be promoted to manager of a section. Typically if you were promoted you were either fired or quit in 6-9 months. As sales reps you were faulted for things way beyond your control. They had silly sales formats that they enforced which were not reasonable & angered customers. It is one of those places where a costumer has to talk to 5 sales associates before you've had a chance to browse. They have a price guarantee but it only guaranteed by their employee's pay checks. They take money from you by taking it out the products profit & then they count it as if you made up the discount so it goes on you record and comes out you pay a second time. At the end of the quarter you get in trouble if the discount which you literally have no control over. Eventually all the incentive programs were taken away just before Christmas so you couldn't have a happy one or find another job. When I visit my old work place today anyone still there counts down the days until they can find a better job. Usually you don't have a lot of business so they want you to ring your customers dry."

"I'd first suggest that they show their employees a little more respect. Inspire instead of instilling fear to motivate your workers. Ur employees will soon figure out if they're being screwed so no matter what you say if my money doesn't end up in my pocket we're being ripped off. If you only get so much traffic in your store then there is only so much money that can be made. The initial point of sale starts with the company's advertising. If you can't draw enough traffic for the majority of your sales reps to all have a good week at the same time then maybe you're doing something wrong."

Telecommunications Engineer
in Saint Louis, MO

"American TV was a great place to work in IT."

Sales Professional
in Peoria, IL

"Lots of $$$ potential, but lots of 12 hour days and you will work every weekend."

What do you like about working at American TV & Appliance?

"You can make very good money if you are dedicated to superior customer service."

What don't you like about working at American TV & Appliance?

"They are strictly commission based. I prefer a mix of base and commission."

"They need to find a way to be more laid back with their good salespeople. I would still be at American today if they hadn't used frequent profanity and punishment as methods of teaching and instruction. Forget the threats, positive reinforcement would have kept me there, and you making more money."