(based on 212 American Red Cross Review Ratings)
"I've worked for Red Cross for 7 years in a couple different roles, and although we have the same problems many nonprofits have (too much work and not enough staff), we have an amazing group of staffers on the chapter side who really care about the mission and know what they're doing. Our local CEO is great, and I am a supporter of our national CEO as well. The blood services side is undergoing crazy changes, though -- I wouldn't recommend applying to any jobs on that side until at least 2017."
Posted 2 years ago in Los Angeles, CA
in Douglasville, GA

"If you are looking for a company where you can grow, they treat you like humans and appreciate you, American Red Cross in Douglasville is NOT the place. They treat you like criminals, bark orders at you, have the worst and outdated equipment, and the morale is the worst. I worked there for a few months and I had to quit. Management is quick to criticize you and point out everything you have done wrong but very slow to give a compliment on what you have done right. They spend thousands on cameras but give 35 cents raise. Morale is awful, 99% of the employees are unhappy. There's no growth and the employees are stuck doing the same thing for years. The turnover is very high. Do yourself a favor and find employment elsewhere."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
in Manchester, NH

"This is the worst place I have ever worked! The management is a joke, they have employees getting high before, after and during blood drives. You get worked like a dog, the pay is pathetic. One day you will be at a long blood drive and not get home until 10:00 PM, then have to report to the site early the next day. I used to be a donor but since working for the Red Cross, I will never in a million years donate to them again."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 People You Work With 2 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5

American Red Cross (332)

4.6 Highest Rated in this Industry is AmeriCorps (36)
2.4 Lowest Rated in this Industry is OrthoNet (6)
in Louisville, KY

"If you are looking for a job where you can sit down comfortably, do your given job tasks and go home, this is not the job for you. The work environment here is very extremely hostile. Depending upon the shift, they hire some very rude, disrespectful people. The majority of the caseworkers are females, who gossip in the workplace with the supervisors. The supervisors address their employees in a very unprofessional manner. Forget trying to simply to your job, you can just forget it. While you are trying to do your given work, you will be harassed and intimidated many times, making it very difficult to complete your tasks.They don't do anything to accommodate the employees, such as give them a place to be seated. If you make a complaint about this treatment, you are ignored. Workplace bullying and harassment takes place there regularly and when it is brought to the supervisors attention, they turn a blind eye to it. The training you get from them is very poor, therefore you are left in the dark many times. They practice favoritism regularly, I personally watched a woman flirting daily with a supervisor (a married man) and he moved her job position up very quickly. I would not recommend this job for anyone, it is the absolute worst depending upon the shift. There is one shift in particular in which you will be completely treated like a dog or a third class citizen. The psychological games they will play on you are disgusting. I will never recommend anyone I know and love to work in such a hostile work environment."

in Grand Island, NE

"The American Red Cross used to be a great place to work but now management doesn't care about their employees, and our benefits are terrible. Bad employees aren't disciplined and get away with their behavior."

Average American Red Cross Ratings in the Past 4 Years

Financial Analyst
in Washington, DC

"Large, fantastic volunteer basis. DOCC is a little disorganized."

Person You Work For 4 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
Major Gifts Officer

IT Project Lead
in Rockville, MD
in Wichita, KS

"Free blood = big money for ARC and its CEO, while I, the work horse, only make 10.30/hour. On full time hours and the $220 taken out every check (bi-weekly-two checks per month) for health insurance, my last pay check was only $232. Not even enough money to pay rent, let alone buy food, gas and my other monthly bills like heat and lights."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5
in Tampa, FL

"I worked for the American Red Cross since April 2005. This were a company that enhances my networking skills to the fullest. I learned everything about different subjects in a small time during my career at this organization. I would do it all again, if I had to. There are some great people that I work with there."

in Spring, TX

"It's a great way to work with the community and with volunteers. My direct supervisor really cares about me and helps me get my job done. Downsides: Upper management doesn't really understand what is going on in the field and makes management decisions based on their misconceptions, which causes a lot of grief from the volunteers and field employees. Too much work is put on employees, which means you can expect to easily work 10-30 hours extra a week without proper compensation."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
in Charlotte, NC

"I am very pleased and happy to have worked for the American Red Cross. They are a non profit organization that does it's best to contribute to people in need."

in Bakersfield, CA

"Great opportunity to get and give back to the community as well as build on public speaking skills!"

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
HR Intern
in Pomona, CA

"It was a great company to work for. They took the time to teach me many different aspects of the Human Resources department as well as different aspects of the company and the business world. I was able to create a carpool program for employees. They gave me freedom to make decisions and allowed me to develop my own spreadsheets and information databases. I would recommend this internship to any one that wants to learn."

in Laramie, WY

"After seeing the inner workings of this non-profit compared with the other 15 charities I have either worked or volunteered with, I won't be donating to them again."