On average, employees at American Express give their company a 4.1 rating out of 5.0 - which is 5% higher than the average rating for all companies on CareerBliss. The happiest American Express employees are QA Analysts submitting an average rating of 4.9 and Credit Analysts with a rating of 4.8.

(based on 465 American Express Review Ratings)
"Great company to work for. If you work hard you can move up the ladder. It has a great development planning process for employees. The people there are incredible, the leaders really care about their people and they take care of their customers. They are always looking for new ways to make their customers happy! They have surveys in place and wonderful rewards for employees and customers alike. They are wonderful company to work for. I would recommend this company."
Posted 7 years ago in Phoenix, AZ
American Express Employee

"Leading company to work for in industry."

American Express Employee

"American Express (Amex) is a great place to work for. Amex is family oriented, easy to promote within the company. Great leadership program to help their employees to succeed at their jobs."

American Express (682)

4.6 Highest Rated in this Industry is Home Finance of America (17)
2.2 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Cottonwood Financial (5)
American Express Employee

"I have been working with American Express from 3 years. Its a very good company, people will be always there to help. I really astonished in covid period. Amex haven’t fired anyone but rather they did a cost cutting by removing all unwanted licenses and servers. Really proud to work with American Express."

Chief of Staff

"American Express is a wonderful company to work for."

Average American Express Ratings in the Past 4 Years

Treasury Manager
in Mexico, MO

"It is a great inclusive corporation because American Express provided an excellent support in order to recover from an accident that I had at the end of December 2019."

American Express Employee

"Great company and helpful teammates"

Travel Consultant
in Jersey City, NJ

"I have worked for American Express Global Business Travel for over 27 years, I stayed so long because they are simply the best place to work. A large company with a family feel as the company is highly collaborative and ideas are welcome from every sector of the business family as they are always seeking improvements and best practices and appreciate the fact that their employees contribute to the success of the company."

Marketing Analyst

"I worked at Amex for months. My contract was for a longer-term but due to COVID-19 there were confusions in taking the project further and hence my contract ended. But within the 3 months, I was under training learning they're internal tools. Was looking forward to getting into the cross-functional duties as it was very intriguing to know how each team carries forward a single Direct Mail project."

Person You Work For 2 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
in Farmington Hills, MI

"I have been at American Express for over 17 years in corporate travel. I enjoyed my job and getting the job done."

in Delhi, IA

"I worked here scince Oct 2018. It is a nice place to work..."

Business Analyst

"I have been worked in American Express company for 5 years as a Business Analyst. Best company for tremendous benefits with a outstanding diversity program - very inclusive of everyone. My managers were both great and supportive in making sure I succeeded in the job.Best company for tremendous benefits with a outstanding diversity program - very inclusive of everyone."

in Scottsdale, AZ

"I was hired as a contractor to assist in Data Analytics and Insights within the Products and Technology Solutions org, to bring the Agile framework in, "hybrid" it. and ensure the products had product owners and teams that understood how the SDLC for Agile works. This led to further developing my career path within the company to product development. AMEX GBT is a great company, that went through a separation from AMEX. This by design created a new company that was basically a 100 year old start-up. We had to make our own processes and protocols that were our own branding. This was difficult and challenging. Overall, some of the best and brightest people work at AMEX GBT. I was lucky enough to have a director that was very intune with his direct reports, and did not "pass the buck". He knew the jobs his teams had. He knew the challenges that were faced everyday. He had an answer or was able to get you one."

in Tempe, AZ

"Your experience at American Express will be highly dependent on your supervisor and your team. Some teams are very siloed in the work they get to tackle, supervisors may be highly technical but not great people leaders, and professional growth can be slow. However, in my experience, if you're ambitious and speak up for yourself, I found it totally doable to network with colleagues outside of my immediate team and get access to more challenging projects. All the supervisors I've worked with went out of their way to make sure I got what I needed in terms of professional development, and in turn it was an excellent work experience. There are a lot of amazing things about Amex - great senior leadership, high quality standards for shipped code (although, this is highly team dependent), and for a huge company they strive to embrace a lot of modern technology. The cons are that a lot of middle management in tech lack the people skills necessary to empower their employees (while this isn't my experience, I hear it quite a bit from colleagues), the culture is still quite corporate, changes take FOREVER to execute (I'm talking years...), and there's a lot of bureaucracy and politics, just like at any large corporate company."

American Express Employee

"I have worked for American Express for almost 6 years. I have had great career growth and amazing opportunities. I am always challenged for better and learning. The company has great benefits and work-life balance. As a working mom, there is the flexibility I need. American Express truly cares about their employees."

Full Stack Engineer

"Plenty of new challenges, new tech stack, and upward mobility. They have great parental leave and pto policy. As well as top notch compensation for base salary and bonuses. The one drawback is the processes for deployment are not well documented and are filled with esoteric knowledge."