Public Storage Reviews

On average, employees at Public Storage give their company a 3.3 rating out of 5.0 - which is 14% lower than the average rating for all companies on CareerBliss. The happiest Public Storage employees are Relief Managers submitting an average rating of 3.6 and Property Managers with a rating of 2.7. Browse Public Storage Reviews by Job Title →

(based on 16 Public Storage Review Ratings)
Company Culture 2.9
Way You Work 3.5
Work Setting 3.8

32 Public Storage Company Reviews and Ratings

Posted last week in Houston, TX

"I have worked for public storage for three years as a resident property manager. This company gave me experience, and experiences I never thought I'd get. It's a hurdle for many people in training because they throw you out in the field at properties you have never seen even before training is finished. as the KTP this is a very poor way for DMs to treat my trainees. Violence or harassment from customers is also a frequent problem working alone at properties. I have personally called police on many occasions. Security is lacking to protect employees leaving work at night. Particularly females. Feeling unsafe is a primary reason for an employment change."

Way You Work 5 / 5 Work Setting 5 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5
Company Culture 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5 Person You Work For 5 / 5
Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5
Posted 4 months ago in Daly City, CA

"I am not sure exactly what I am supposed to write here but I will say that I worked for Public Storage for 2 years, It is a good company and would recommend others to apply."

Growth Opportunities 4 / 5 Way You Work 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5
Work Setting 5 / 5 Support You Get 5 / 5 Person You Work For 3 / 5
People You Work With 4 / 5 Company Culture 3 / 5

Public Storage (32)

4.8 Highest Rated in this Industry is Taycor Financial (6)
2.9 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Realty ONE Group (7)
Posted 6 months ago in Atlanta, GA

"I worked for Public Storage for several years and found the company good. You have to work a lot of hours to get the job done and there is a poor work/life balance. The stock options are good but take too long to vest and the average tenure for a District Manager is less than the vesting time."

Work Setting 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5 Company Culture 2 / 5
Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Person You Work For 2 / 5
Way You Work 2 / 5 Support You Get 3 / 5
Posted 9 months ago in Glendale, CA

"Great company worked for and recommended to others.."

Work Setting 5 / 5 Way You Work 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5
Company Culture 5 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Support You Get 5 / 5
Person You Work For 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5

Average Public Storage Ratings in the Past 3 Years

2012 $2
2013 $2
Posted last year in Sacramento, CA

What do you like about working at Public Storage?

"A property manager at Public Storage usually works their property alone with too much to get done in the time allowed for below living wages. There is Nothing I liked about working for this company."

"pay is $10/hr, even with a dilapidated apartment, it is indentured servitude."

What don't you like about working at Public Storage?

"Usually worked properties by yourself, required to do more than time allotted, not compensated nearly enough"

"hire many more employees and pay them a living wage."

People You Work With 2 / 5 Way You Work 1 / 5 Support You Get 1 / 5
Company Culture 1 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Person You Work For 1 / 5
Posted last year in Pacoima, CA

"I'm not enjoying"

What do you like about working at Public Storage?

"I enjoy customer service,I always enjoy working with people and help them."

"Apply to Extra Space Storage.Better salary, a lot working ethics."

What don't you like about working at Public Storage?

"Co-workers. Public Storage hire a lots of looser,people with less or no confident about themself."

"Enforce a NO GOSSIPING POLICY. And hired Dr.Phil to provided therapy for employees"

Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5 Person You Work For 1 / 5
Work Setting 1 / 5 Way You Work 4 / 5 Company Culture 1 / 5
People You Work With 1 / 5 Support You Get 1 / 5
Software Development Manager
Posted last year in Burbank, CA

"I learned management skills in leading consultants developing business apps"

What do you like about working at Public Storage?

"The co-workers and my boss were very nice to work with."

"Present more hands-on IT skills and buisness expereience to land a desirable IT position."

What don't you like about working at Public Storage?

"There was no potential for further development in my career."

"allocate more budgets for the IT deparment to have enough resouces to support the business goals of the company"

Growth Opportunities 3 / 5 Person You Work For 5 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
People You Work With 4 / 5 Support You Get 4 / 5 Company Culture 4 / 5
Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 Way You Work 5 / 5
District Manager
Posted this month in Tampa, FL

What do you like about working at Public Storage?

"Competitive pay and good benefits. Worked at multiple locations. Camaraderie with other district managers was great."

"Ask questions about advancement and turnover, as well as the number of hours you will work per day (including at home in the evenings). It probably won't be a long term employment solution if you are someone who likes to advance and excel within an organization. If you are someone who can be micromanaged and have no desire to climb the corporate ladder, then the company may be a good fit for you."

What don't you like about working at Public Storage?

"Most property managers are managed by employees who are only there to collect a paycheck. The low wages paid restricts the quality of people who apply for property manager positions. There is also a high level of turnover at the district manager level. The company turned over almost 90 of the 204 district managers in 2011. There are also several tedious, yet very time consuming duties that district managers must perform daily. These tasks could easily be reassigned or reduced, and consume several hours each week that should be devoted to training and developing property managers. The company also hesitates to spend money on improving facilities when needed, including things like fixing lights in storage units or dealing with pest infestations. Lastly, the company has property managers pushing renters insurance policies on every customer in a way that is borderline illegal. Some of the things property managers say can only be talked about or recommended by licensed insurance agents."

"I would pay property managers a higher salary, as they are expected to handle more duties than other professions paying the same wage. The higher wage would also benefit the company by increasing the quality of the hiring pool of property managers . I would also, reassign some of the more tedious tasks away from the district managers in order to allow for more time developing and coaching subordinates."

Company Culture 2 / 5 Person You Work For 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5
Growth Opportunities 3 / 5 Company Culture 4.2 / 5 Person You Work For 3.4 / 5
Work Setting 4.8 / 5 Way You Work 4.9 / 5
Posted 2 years ago in Waukegan, IL

What do you like about working at Public Storage?

"Getting to know your tenants and developing personal relationships with them is wonderful."

"Be aware of the circumstances. Public Storage has a way of talking themselves up and making it seem like a great company to work for, but it's not."

What don't you like about working at Public Storage?

"Public Storage breathes down your neck and has unrealistic expectations. They want you to sell an $18 lock to 100% of new tenants, and sell insurance to 85% of new tenants. If your numbers dip below those goals, watch your back. They will be watching you. They tell you that you're doing an amazing job and then give you a 10-25 cent raise. It's insulting. I have never felt so unappreciated at a job. This is a terrible corporation to work for."

"Stop focusing on pushy sales techniques and memorizing scripts, and start focusing on developing personal relationships with the tenants and employees. Give the employees benefits that aren't terrible. Stop changing the compensation plan every few months, making it harder and harder to earn bonuses."

Growth Opportunities 1 / 5 Way You Work 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5
Company Culture 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Person You Work For 1 / 5
Work Setting 4 / 5 Support You Get 3 / 5
Posted 3 years ago in Lauderhill, FL
Person You Work For 2.8 / 5 Work Setting 3.4 / 5 Way You Work 4 / 5
Rewards You Receive 3.9 / 5 People You Work With 3.7 / 5 Support You Get 2.7 / 5
Company Culture 2.9 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2.6 / 5