Current CEO: Piyush Patel
Cabletron Systems was a New Hampshire-based provider of computer equipment used for networking purposes throughout the 1980s up through the late 1990s, when the company then became legally recognized as a holding company. Unique designs and approaches by Cabletron Systems in terms of sales and methodologies significantly lowered the cost of Ethernet equipment for networking by unifying networking technologies of the time into a single unified product line that was both affordable and easy to operate. Cabletron Systems now acts as a holding company that is set up to control four networking firms:
• Enterasys Networks of Andover, Massachusetts - The products produced and sold by this firm is based on the original core products of Cabletron Systems. The company initially went public in 2001. In 2006, the Gores Group owned by Alec Gores took the company private. The Gores Group then acquired a controlling interest in Siemens Enterprise and merged that company with Enterasys. Eventually, a new entity will be formed. Chris Crowell is the current CEO and President of Enterasys.
• Riverstone Networks of Santa Clara, California - This firm was acquired by Cabletron and later acquired by Lucent Technologies. It has since merged with Alcatel Networks and the company no longer exists as Riverstone Networks.
• Aprisma Management Technologies of Durham, New Hampshire - This firm was a subsidiary of Enterasys following the merger of Cabletron. The company no longer exists as an entity. It currently exists as Computer Associates, since enamed CA, Inc.
• Global Network Technology Services of The Woodlands, Texas (also known as GNTS) - This firm was a network installation and management company that was dissolved in 2001.
Cabletron Systems careers are similar to what is offered at Enterasys with common positions including supervisory, management, engineering and IT jobs. Working at Cabletron was described as a group effort with most projects. The Cabletron culture was described as one where ideas were encouraged and success was rewarded. Cabletron benefits (now applying to those working at Enterasys) include(d):
• Medical coverage
• Optional dental coverage
• Optional vision coverage
• Life insurance options
• Short-term and long-term disability
• Retirement plan (401K, no company matching)
Additional benefits of working at Enterasys, according to employee assessments, include solid teamwork and a variety of projects. Some positions allow for a flexible work schedule with overtime frequently offered.