On average, employees at American Red Cross give their company a 3.9 rating out of 5.0 - which is 3% higher than the average rating for all companies on CareerBliss. The happiest American Red Cross employees are Test Engineers submitting an average rating of 4.7 and Volunteers also with a rating of 4.7.

(based on 183 American Red Cross Review Ratings)
"It was a great company to work for. They took the time to teach me many different aspects of the Human Resources department as well as different aspects of the company and the business world. I was able to create a carpool program for employees. They gave me freedom to make decisions and allowed me to develop my own spreadsheets and information databases. I would recommend this internship to any one that wants to learn."
Posted about a year ago in Pomona, CA
IT Project Lead
Posted 6 months ago in Rockville, MD
Posted 7 months ago in Wichita, KS

"Free blood = big money for ARC and its CEO, while I, the work horse, only make 10.30/hour. On full time hours and the $220 taken out every check (bi-weekly-two checks per month) for health insurance, my last pay check was only $232. Not even enough money to pay rent, let alone buy food, gas and my other monthly bills like heat and lights."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5
Support You Get 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5

American Red Cross (278)

4.6 Highest Rated in this Industry is AmeriCorps (33)
2.4 Lowest Rated in this Industry is OrthoNet (5)
Posted 7 months ago in Tampa, FL

"I worked for the American Red Cross since April 2005. This were a company that enhances my networking skills to the fullest. I learned everything about different subjects in a small time during my career at this organization. I would do it all again, if I had to. There are some great people that I work with there."

Posted 8 months ago in Spring, TX

"It's a great way to work with the community and with volunteers. My direct supervisor really cares about me and helps me get my job done. Downsides: Upper management doesn't really understand what is going on in the field and makes management decisions based on their misconceptions, which causes a lot of grief from the volunteers and field employees. Too much work is put on employees, which means you can expect to easily work 10-30 hours extra a week without proper compensation."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5

Average American Red Cross Ratings in the Past 4 Years

Posted last year in Charlotte, NC

"I am very pleased and happy to have worked for the American Red Cross. They are a non profit organization that does it's best to contribute to people in need."

Posted last year in Bakersfield, CA

"Great opportunity to get and give back to the community as well as build on public speaking skills!"

Support You Get 2 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5
HR Intern
Posted last year in Pomona, CA

Posted last year in Laramie, WY

"After seeing the inner workings of this non-profit compared with the other 15 charities I have either worked or volunteered with, I won't be donating to them again."

Posted last year in Cleveland, OH

"The American Red Cross is a non-profit organization attempting to run off a corporate structure. It isn't working very well to say the least. The workload is excessive as they do not have the money to hire adequate staff, yet there is a staggering lack of incentives for people to perform this stressful job. Management and upper management is compensated well, Lead tech's and especially tech II's who perform the bulk of the work are not. Cleveland for example pays lead technicians $15 hr."

IT Project Manager
Posted last year in Philadelphia, PA

"I've been there since 1996 and have seen a lot of changes. alot of them not too good. being that the headquarters is in DC, they started to think like the government. When I started it was a good team/ family environment, but now its like most other large companies that have lost their focus."

Posted last year in Washington, DC

"Great humanitarian organization that provides disaster relief to the entire country. Coworkers are great and the work environment is awesome. Since they are non-profit they can be a bit behind in technology but make up for it with their mission. Overall a great place to work."

Collections Manager
Posted last year

"Horrible ! Do not care about employees. Wish the truth about their abusive workplace would come out. Meager pay. No raises. 70 hour work weeks . No regard for employee or their family. Constant demeaning behavior."

Posted last year in Roanoke, VA

"In thirteen years with American Red Cross, I experienced days of absolute bliss where everything was perfect, and days of absolute despair where it felt like nothing would ever go right again. In other words, it has much in common with most companies out there. I am happy to say that the days of bliss did outnumber the days of despair. I would open to returning to the American Red Cross in the future, but am also looking forward to exploring new opportunities for now."

Person You Work For 3.3 / 5 People You Work With 3.3 / 5 Work Setting 3.3 / 5
Support You Get 3.3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3.3 / 5
Quality Control Specialist
Posted last year in Saint Louis, MO

"Nice place to work. Great job for someone starting out and looking to gain experience."

Person You Work For 3.3 / 5 People You Work With 3.3 / 5 Work Setting 3.3 / 5
Health and Safety Instructor
Posted 2 years ago in Americus, GA

"Great people to work with. It was a great experience."

What do you like about working at American Red Cross?

"Knowing you are helping people. It is a very forward thinking company that isn't afraid to explore new ways to do things."

"Be willing to serve others and open to new ideas and constant change."

What don't you like about working at American Red Cross?

"Communication was slow when changes were taking place. We would often hear of a change to a process weeks after it was suppose to be implemented."

"Plan changes well enough in advance to allow for the communication of those changes to preceed the change itself."