American Red Cross Reviews

On average, employees at American Red Cross give their company a 3.8 rating out of 5.0 - which is equal to the average rating for all companies on CareerBliss. The happiest American Red Cross employees are Volunteers submitting an average rating of 4.7 and Phlebotomists with a rating of 4.5. Browse American Red Cross Reviews by Job Title →

(based on 120 American Red Cross Review Ratings)
Company Culture 3.7
Work Setting 3.9

American Red Cross Jobs

184 American Red Cross Company Reviews and Ratings

4.4Posted 3 months ago in Pomona, CA
"It was a great company to work for. They took the time to teach me many different aspects of the Human Resources department as well as different aspects of the company and the business world. I was able to create a carpool program for employees. They gave me freedom to make decisions and allowed me to develop my own spreadsheets and information databases. I would recommend this internship to any one that wants to learn."
Posted 2 months ago in Charlotte, NC

"I am very pleased and happy to have worked for the American Red Cross. They are a non profit organization that does it's best to contribute to people in need."

Person You Work For 5 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5
Way You Work 4 / 5 Company Culture 3 / 5
HR Intern
Posted 3 months ago in Pomona, CA

Rewards You Receive 3 / 5 Way You Work 5 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5
Company Culture 5 / 5 Support You Get 5 / 5 Person You Work For 5 / 5
Work Setting 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5

American Red Cross (184)

4.6 Highest Rated in this Industry is AmeriCorps (31)
3.1 Lowest Rated in this Industry is Executive Health Resources (9)
Posted 5 months ago in Laramie, WY

"After seeing the inner workings of this non-profit compared with the other 15 charities I have either worked or volunteered with, I won't be donating to them again."

Growth Opportunities 1 / 5 Company Culture 1 / 5 Way You Work 1 / 5
Person You Work For 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Support You Get 1 / 5
Work Setting 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5
Posted 6 months ago in Cleveland, OH

"The American Red Cross is a non-profit organization attempting to run off a corporate structure. It isn't working very well to say the least. The workload is excessive as they do not have the money to hire adequate staff, yet there is a staggering lack of incentives for people to perform this stressful job. Management and upper management is compensated well, Lead tech's and especially tech II's who perform the bulk of the work are not. Cleveland for example pays lead technicians $15 hr."

Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Growth Opportunities 1 / 5 Support You Get 1 / 5
Company Culture 1 / 5 Way You Work 1 / 5 People You Work With 3 / 5
Person You Work For 1 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5

Average American Red Cross Ratings in the Past 4 Years

2010 $2
IT Project Manager
Posted 8 months ago in Philadelphia, PA

"I've been there since 1996 and have seen a lot of changes. alot of them not too good. being that the headquarters is in DC, they started to think like the government. When I started it was a good team/ family environment, but now its like most other large companies that have lost their focus."

Way You Work 5 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Work Setting 3 / 5
Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Support You Get 3 / 5 Company Culture 3 / 5
Person You Work For 4 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5
Posted 9 months ago in Washington, DC

"Great humanitarian organization that provides disaster relief to the entire country. Coworkers are great and the work environment is awesome. Since they are non-profit they can be a bit behind in technology but make up for it with their mission. Overall a great place to work."

People You Work With 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3 / 5 Way You Work 3 / 5
Company Culture 4 / 5 Person You Work For 5 / 5 Work Setting 4 / 5
Support You Get 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5
Collections Manager
Posted 10 months ago

"Horrible ! Do not care about employees. Wish the truth about their abusive workplace would come out. Meager pay. No raises. 70 hour work weeks . No regard for employee or their family. Constant demeaning behavior."

Person You Work For 1 / 5 Work Setting 1 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5
People You Work With 4 / 5 Support You Get 1 / 5 Company Culture 1 / 5
Growth Opportunities 1 / 5 Way You Work 1 / 5
Posted 11 months ago in Roanoke, VA

"In thirteen years with American Red Cross, I experienced days of absolute bliss where everything was perfect, and days of absolute despair where it felt like nothing would ever go right again. In other words, it has much in common with most companies out there. I am happy to say that the days of bliss did outnumber the days of despair. I would open to returning to the American Red Cross in the future, but am also looking forward to exploring new opportunities for now."

Way You Work 3.3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3.3 / 5
Person You Work For 3.3 / 5 Company Culture 3.3 / 5 Support You Get 3.3 / 5
People You Work With 3.3 / 5 Work Setting 3.3 / 5
Quality Control Specialist
Posted 11 months ago in Saint Louis, MO

"Nice place to work. Great job for someone starting out and looking to gain experience."

Support You Get 3.3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 3.3 / 5 Person You Work For 3.3 / 5
Way You Work 3.3 / 5 Growth Opportunities 3.3 / 5 People You Work With 3.3 / 5
Company Culture 3.3 / 5 Work Setting 3.3 / 5
Health and Safety Instructor
Posted last year in Americus, GA

"Great people to work with. It was a great experience."

What do you like about working at American Red Cross?

"Knowing you are helping people. It is a very forward thinking company that isn't afraid to explore new ways to do things."

"Be willing to serve others and open to new ideas and constant change."

What don't you like about working at American Red Cross?

"Communication was slow when changes were taking place. We would often hear of a change to a process weeks after it was suppose to be implemented."

"Plan changes well enough in advance to allow for the communication of those changes to preceed the change itself."

Company Culture 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5
Way You Work 4 / 5 Support You Get 4 / 5 Person You Work For 5 / 5
Work Setting 4 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5
Biomedical Technician
Posted last year in Dedham, MA

What do you like about working at American Red Cross?

"The feeling of working toward something that actually helps the global community."

"Have a back-up job for when you are inevidably laid off."

What don't you like about working at American Red Cross?

"Bureaucratic nightmare; no room for innovation or creative problem solving within lower-level staff. Reaction time is low in response to problems because employees are always waiting for orders from the higher-ups instead of being table to take it upon themselves to do what they think is necessary. There have also been massive lay-offs recently, and cutbacks to health insurance coverage, cafeteria services, pensions, and employee perks like anniversary parties for people who have worked for the company 20, 25, or 30 years. They have also recently canceled the annual employee holiday party, because they thought it would look bad to spend that kind of money on a party after laying off so many people."

"Train your employess adequately to do their jobs, then TRUST them to do their jobs. Lower-level employees often have practical suggestions on how to do things more cheaply or efficiently. Maybe if you listened to them instead of paying to bring in lean experts who have never done these functions before, the company could be more cost efficient without requiring all of the employee cutbacks."

Growth Opportunities 1 / 5 Support You Get 2 / 5 Company Culture 2 / 5
People You Work With 3 / 5 Rewards You Receive 1 / 5 Person You Work For 2 / 5
Work Setting 3 / 5 Way You Work 1 / 5
Division Manager
Posted last year in West Henrietta, NY

"I have learned excellent transferable skills"

What do you like about working at American Red Cross?

"Autonomy to make decisions which impacted lives of Donors and patients"

"Be energetic, honest and bring a love of people to the job!"

What don't you like about working at American Red Cross?

"I really dont have anything negative to say about the Red Cross. It follows it's mission statement!"

"Trust your staff, dont micro manage. Let them learn and grow from your mentoring of them"

Work Setting 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 5 / 5 Way You Work 5 / 5
Rewards You Receive 4 / 5 People You Work With 5 / 5 Company Culture 4 / 5
Support You Get 5 / 5 Person You Work For 5 / 5
Media Relations Volunteer
Posted last year in Cambridge, MA

"I enjoy working there."

What do you like about working at American Red Cross?

"I enjoy my position. Writing press releases and blog posts keeps me on my feet all day! My co-workers are all great workers and exceptionally friendly people."

"Do not be nervous to interview. The American Red Cross is obviously a well-known company but do not let this make you weary! You'll enjoy going to work everyday."

What don't you like about working at American Red Cross?

"The Media Relations and Communications department is fairly new so room for growth, in my case, is limited."

"I do not have any suggestions for management. I think they have an intelligent and positive staff."

Company Culture 5 / 5 Growth Opportunities 2 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5
Work Setting 4 / 5 Way You Work 5 / 5 Support You Get 5 / 5
Rewards You Receive 5 / 5 Person You Work For 5 / 5
Trainer
Posted last year in Tampa, FL

What do you like about working at American Red Cross?

"The opportunity to teach the public basic first aid and CPR"

"Show them you are passionate about safety, health and disaster preparedness"

What don't you like about working at American Red Cross?

"The pay is not as good as it could be."

"Get involved in the selection of trainers who train the public"

Rewards You Receive 2 / 5 People You Work With 4 / 5 Support You Get 3 / 5
Growth Opportunities 1 / 5 Way You Work 4 / 5 Company Culture 2 / 5
Person You Work For 4 / 5 Work Setting 2 / 5
Volunteer
Posted last year in Los Angeles, CA

What do you like about working at American Red Cross?

"That I am able to teach others about what I know."

"Wish them best of luck as well hope they are ."

What don't you like about working at American Red Cross?

"I like everything about it , if I did not like it I would not be doint it"

Growth Opportunities 5 / 5 Person You Work For 5 / 5 Rewards You Receive 5 / 5